Cajun Turkey and Sausage Gumbo(Quick or Classic)
Here are two ways of making this "Loosiana" classic. (See my article about the history and preparation of Gumbo's here, on my blog. Which ever way you prepared it, always use the Cajun Holy Trinity, which is peppers, onions and celery. This is a true "fill 'er up" kind of meal, even going so far as using a fork. Here is the quickest method of the two.
For 3 people
- 2 (4-ounce)links hot or sweet Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup(s) minced onion
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 rib celery, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoon(s) minced garlic in oil
- 2 cup(s) beef broth
- 1 (15-ounce)can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 3/4 cup(s) cooked turkey or chicken, diced
- 1 (6-ounce)can tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) oregano
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cup(s) brown rice
- 1 3/4 cup(s) cooked yams or sweet potatoes, diced
Cajun Turkey and Sausage Gumbo(Quick or Classic) Directions
- Remove casings from sausage and crumble into a large saucepan. Add onion, green pepper, celery and garlic, Stir to combine and cook over medium high heat until meat is cooked thoroughly and celery is softened, about 5-7 minutes. Drain fat and add broth, tomatoes with juice, turkey, tomato paste and seasonings. Stir well, add yams, reduce heat to low, place cover slightly askew and simmer for at least 15 minutes, or the length of time you are cooking the rice.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- To serve, mound a cup of rice in the middle of each of 4 serving bowls and surround with gumbo. Serve immediately.
- Or it you want a classic Cajun style gumbo, place 4 tablespoons butter or margarine in a saucepan. Melt over medium high heat. Whisk in 3 tablespoons flour until smooth. Continue cooking and almost constantly stirring for about 6-8 minutes, or until the roux is the color of a copper penny. Immediately add beef broth, whisking until smooth. Add tomoates, turkey, yams and seasoings. When you have cooked the sausage with the remainder of the vegetables, per instructions above, transfer to the tomato mixture, stir well and bring up to temperature before serving.