Apple Butterscotch Crisp in a Jar
Make sure you either add a tag on each jar or verbally tell everyone that all you need to do to reheat this great tasting dessert is to place the lid loosely on top of the jar and gently simmer in a 1/2-inch of water for 5-7 minutes or until heated through. Or just scoop it out onto a plate or bowl and microwave until hot.
Either way, I think you will find the addition of butterscotch in this crisp recipe to be that special flavor the melds so well with the old-fashioned flavors contained inside these little canning jars.
For 4 people
- 4 (1/2 pint) mason or canning jars
- 5 apples, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks(making about 4 cups total)
- 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice, optional
- 1/2 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup(s) brown sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoon(s) cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) nutmeg
- 3 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon(s) vanilla
- 1 cup(s) butterscotch chips
- 2 cup(s) rolled oats
- 2 tablespoon(s) flour
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine, melted
Apple Butterscotch Crisp in a Jar Directions
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. In a large, microwavable bowl, toss the apples in lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, combine the granulated sugar, 1/2 c. brown sugar, 1 t. cinnamon and nutmeg, mixing well. Pour this mixed sugars over the apples, then toss to coat. Place plastic wrap over bowl of prepared apples tightly and microwave on high for 4 minutes on high. Remove from microwave and let sit, covered, while preparing rest of recipe.
- In a bowl, combine rolled oats, flour, remainder of cinnamon, remainder of brown sugar and melted butter: combine well. Remove plastic wrap from apple bowl and add the butterscotch chips, vanilla and cornstarch. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Into each mason jar, add about 2 T. rolled oat mixture to the bottom. top with a 1/4 of the apple mixture. Top, evenly, with the remainder of the oat mixture.
- Place on a sturdy, flat baking pan and place in the oven to bake for about 30 minutes or until the top is crispy and apples are bubbling. Time may vary according to your oven. Remove from oven and let cool completely before tightening on the lid and decorating as desired.