Roasted 'Sweet and Heat' Red Pepper Dippin' Salsa
This makes about 2 cups of salsa.
Share This Recipe
For 4 people
- 1 lb(s) sweet red bell peppers
- 4 medium sized tart apples, such as granny smith
- 1 hot chili pepper, 1 habenero or scotch bonnet pepper, or 2 tbsps red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup(s) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1/4 cup(s) cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup(s) apple juice
Roasted 'Sweet and Heat' Red Pepper Dippin' Salsa Directions
- Preheat broiler and set broiler pan 3 inches from heat source. Half and seed bell peppers. Line peppers skin side up a baking sheet. Place under broiler until black and blistered, about 4-5 minutes. Carefully remove peppers and place in a large resealable bag, sealing. Set in refrigerator for 15 minutes or so until cooled enough to handle. Remove and, under cold running water, rub the blackened skin off. It should come off readily. If not, it only adds to the flavor.
- In the meantime, peel, core and chop apples; set aside. When bell peppers are cooled, chop and set aside.
- Chop hot chili peppers and place in a large skillet with apples, sugar, salt, black pepper, vinegar and apple juice. Heat, over high, until boiling, then reduce to low. Simmer gently for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, it will boil down. Add the chopped bell peppers, cook an additional 3 minutes and remove from heat.
- The apple should be cooked and broken up at this point, but if not, place mixture(in batches) in blender or food processor and pulse a second or two until finely chopped if desired. many people enjoy it chunky. Taste, and add more heat or sugar if desired. Pour into a bowl, cover and cool. The texture should have some texture.