Easy Pretzel Hot Dog Buns
I must say, now that I have started making these hot dog buns for my children, they will not eat any other hot dog roll. I didn't add the extra coarse salt on top(purely for health reasons) but by all means sprinkle some pretzel or coarse-grained salt over the top of the beaten egg if desired. These are dense yet manageable, crispy yet soft.....perfect for your grilling season.
For 10 Serving(s)
- 1 cup(s) warm milk
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) onion powder
- 3 cup(s) flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/3 cup(s) baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten well
Easy Pretzel Hot Dog Buns Directions
- Combine milk and yeast in a bowl and let sit until the yeast foams a little, about 10 minutes. Add the sugar, garlic and onion powder, flour and salt to yeast mixture. Mix well with a sturdy wooden spoon until it comes together and leaves the side of the bowl. If using a stand mixer, use hook attachment, but you will need to add an additional cup of flour. Loosely cover with a dry towel and let rise for an hour or so, or until double in bulk.
- Grease a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. Using a well floured work surface, knead dough for 1 minute. Pinch off between 8-10 uniform balls(depending on the size you desire) of dough and roll each into logs measuring about 7-8 inches in length. Place on prepared baking sheet, spray with nonstick cooking spray and cover loosely with film wrap. Let rise for 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425-degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Whisk in the baking soda. Place the logs of dough, 3 at a time, into the boiling water Gently roll around in water for 10 seconds. Lift out to drain excess for a second or two before placing on prepared pan. Repeat with remainder of logs. Brush each with the beaten egg and make shallow slits on top of each roll with a sharp knife. Bake 16-18 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Remove from oven to cool.