Double Corn Jonnybread(Cornbread)
Ordinarily I am perfectly pleased with the simple taste of cornbread, but I decided to add some texture and additional taste to this time-honored classic. That extra bite of corn with the subtle sweetness of maple syrup are welcome additions, of which I think you will agree. Try bits of cooked bacon or sausage throughout for a more savory flavor or for a great after school snack, add some sliced hot dogs, Cheddar cheese or even chopped, fresh tomatoes.
For 1 Batch(es)
- 2 cup(s) yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup(s) flour
- 2 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 3 eggs, or the equivalent in egg substitute
- 1 cup(s) milk, skim, low-fat or whole
- 1/4 cup(s) maple syrup(real syrup if you have it)
- 1 cup(s) creamed corn
Double Corn Jonnybread(Cornbread) Directions
- Heat the oven to 375- degrees F. Spray a 13x9-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl beat the eggs with a whisk until foamy; whisk in the milk and maple syrup. Fold in the creamed corn. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the sides are dark brown and have pulled away from the pan, about 20 to 25 minutes.